Friday, 17/09/2021 | 13:09 GMT+7
Job Title: Investment Manager/Component 2 Lead
Project: USAID Vietnam Urban Energy Security
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party
Period of performance: Jun 01, 2021 – May 31, 2022
Deadline for application: May 9, 2021
SCOPE OF WORK
The Vietnam Urban Energy Security Project (VUES) works closely with USAID and the Government of Vietnam at multiple levels to improve enabling frameworks, mobilize investment, and increase the adoption of innovative solutions for advanced, distributed energy. It is a 4-year activity with the overall goal of “advanced, distributed energy solutions deployed to improve urban energy resilience and energy security” in Vietnam.
The specific objectives of this activity are to assist Vietnamese cities to:
1. Improve enabling policies, regulations, and city-level plans/programs for the deployment of resilient, distributed energy services;
2. Mobilize public and private sector investment for the deployment of advanced, distributed energy systems;
3. Increase adoption of innovative technologies, practices, business and financing models for advanced,
distributed urban energy solutions.
As Vietnam experiences steep increases in energy demand and rising air pollution challenges, there is growing recognition that cleaner, more reliable sources of energy are needed and greater capital investment is necessary. In an effort to achieve the objective of catalyzing capital into clean energy, the project provides a variety of technical assistance, transaction advisory support, and blended finance solutions that demonstrate the viability of investing in Vietnam’s clean energy sector. These activities leverage existing programs – donor funded and otherwise – to support investment and crowd in new actors by building investable pipelines and reducing risk. The project engages a wide range of stakeholders to ensure interventions address constraints on both the supply and demand side, and works to broker stronger linkages between those seeking investment opportunities and those needing capital to grow their businesses and scale their solutions.
Overview of the Position:
The VUES project is currently implementing activities in Vietnam to mobilize public and private sector investment for clean energy and is coordinating on a number of interventions. The VUES project seeks an Investment Manager/Component 2 Lead to provide oversight and management of the Component 2 of VUES: Mobilize public and private sector investment for the deployment of advanced, distributed energy systems. Component 2 will focus on identifying barriers and constraints to increase public and private investment in advanced, distributed energy solutions and designing interventions that overcome or mitigate these constraints in order to increase capital flows and investment in clean energy.
The Investment Manager/Component 2 Lead will focus on building and sustaining a pipeline of investment opportunities, identifying technical assistance needs and providing support and facilitation to make the opportunities more attractive to increase the accessibility of appropriate capital for renewable energy and energy efficiency measures. He/she will lead the management and technical support for the project’s activities focused on unlocking capital.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Investment Manager will be responsible to lead Component 2 of VUES and engage with a wide range of stakeholders to ensure interventions address constraints on both the supply and demand side, and will work to broker stronger linkages between those seeking investment opportunities and those needing capital to grow their businesses and scale their solutions. Specific responsibilities include:
- Develops and implements work plans and operational strategy for Component 2; Coordinates and provides technical assistance to partners and stakeholders in the area of clean energy finance;
- Collaborates with key stakeholders involved in the clean energy sector in Vietnam private sector actors, government ministries, financial institutions, and other donor funded projects working in the same space to ensure strong coordination between stakeholders and reduce redundancy;
- Identifies and manages technical experts, consultants, and outside contractors in the fulfillment of their scopes of work in the areas of transaction advisory support, investment facilitation, blended finance, or other areas of clean energy finance;
- Ensures timely completion of quality deliverables according to approved workplan and scopes of work; ensure activities are implemented in accordance with USAID regulations and DAI policies;
- Coordinates with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager to provide technical input on project targets, indicators, updates, and learning;
- Supervises the Clean Energy Finance Activity Manager based in HCMC;
- Coordinates closely with the Activity Fund Manager to provide technical input into grant and subcontract solicitations including RFPs and SOWs.
- At least 10 years of experience working in clean energy finance related activities and demonstrated familiarity with finance and investment landscape in Vietnam
- Experience working in USAID and/or donor-funded, preferably in energy or finance projects in Vietnam or regionally
- Experience working with government counterparts preferred
- University degree in finance, or related subject
- Fluency in Vietnamese is required
- Excellent writing, speaking, and reading skills in English; demonstrated report writing skills in English is required.
This a full-time position, with a level of effort of 260 days per year. The employment contract will be on a yearly basis, with possible extensions until the close of the project scheduled for September 30, 2023. The Investment Manager/Component 2 Lead will report to the Deputy Chief of Party of Vietnam Urban Energy Security. The position is based in Hanoi.
Applicants should apply via Formsite at this link:
Deadline for the application: May 9, 2020.
DAI Organization and Values
DAI is a global development company with corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, EU, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Palestine and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world.
DAI and its employees are committed to confronting racism and holding ourselves accountable for positive change within the company and in the communities, cultures, and countries in which we live and work. DAI is committed to attracting and retaining the best employees from all races and backgrounds in our continued effort to become a better development partner. DAI upholds the highest ethical standards. We are committed to the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment as well as other ethical breaches. All of our positions are therefore subject to stringent vetting and reference checks.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. DAI does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, veteran status, or other non-merit factor.